I am an avid iOS user and really couldn't live (or at least wouldn't want to try) without my iPhone. Great applications are really what makes the iOS platform stand out and to be honest there are so many wonderful applications I can't possibly know about all of them. In this article you will find information about my favorite applications but I would really love to know about applications that you absolutely can't live without so please feel free to share those in the comments. [Last Updated: February 21st, 2012]
Above you will see my iPhone homescreen with a number of folders including: Apple (default iOS apps), Games 1-3 (I have a lot of games installed but really only play a few at any given time), Location (location/gps based apps), Multimedia (music & video), Photography (camera/photo apps), Productivity (GTD), Search (directory/search apps), Shopping (apps that make it way too easy to buy stuff), Social (social networking apps) and Utilities. I am going to break this article into sections based on my folder naming scheme to keep things nice and organized however I will skip over the 'Apple' category since everybody has these apps installed.
- Angry Birds - This is my favorite time killer and a really fun game to pick up and play for short intervals. Seasons and Rio are also a lot of fun.
- Cut the Rope - A great puzzle game that features cute characters, bright colors and some fun brain teasers.
- Flick Golf - This game is a lot of fun to play and as you get further along it gets quite challenging, definitely a fun take on the game of golf.
- Rage HD - A brilliant shooter from ID software featuring great graphics and really solid gameplay.
- Ramps - A brilliant little puzzle game that is both challenging and incredibly rewarding.
- Words with Friends - Online scrabble that you can play with friends or random people fron the internet.
- AroundMe - This app uses your geolocation to find things around you such as banks, coffee shops, gas stations, hotels, etc. It's very handy when traveling.
- Foursquare - Share your location and information about your location where ever you are and compete with your friends to get the most checkins.
- Garageband - It is amazing what you can do with this app. Available now for both iPad and iPhone this is truly the best app for multimedia production on iOS.
- Netflix - Stream movies/shows instantly and manage your instant queue directly from your device.
- Rdio - The app for my favorite music streaming service (review here) that allows you to manage your playlists, collection and listen to music on the go.
- Shazam - Ever hear a song in public or on the radio and wish you knew what it was? Open Shazam, hold your phone near the speaker and boom you will get the song title, artist and links to purchase it.
- 360 - Take beautiful panoramic shots with the camera in your iOS device.
- Camera+ - A great replacement for the default camera app featuring a large number of filters and editing functions.
- Instagram - A really fun way to shoot/share photos.
- Dragon Dictation - A terrific speech->text converter.
- Evernote - Absolutely the best online note taking service available.
- Gas Cubby - Keeps track of your average MPG, time between fill-ups, etc.
- Github Issues - Create, manage and discuss Github issues right from your device.
- Kindle - Download and read books from the Amazon Kindle store.
- Prompt - A very clean, highly functional SSH client for all iOS devices.
- WolframAlpha - One of the most powerful "calculators" (it is so much more) that I have ever used.
- Google - A native way of using Google Search and other applications from your device.
- Google Earth - The world in the palm of your hand.
- Yelp - Find and add reviews for local businesses right from your device.
- Amazon - Search, browse and buy from the Amazon catalog of products.
- Groupon - Purchase, manage and use your Groupons right from your device.
- LivingSocial - Purchase, manage and use your LivingSocial deals right from your device.
- Tumblr - Manage and post to your site(s) on the go.
- Tweetbot - The best Twitter client for iOS.
- WordPress - Manage your WordPress site(s) and content from your mobile device.
- AT&T Code Scanner - Scan barcodes and QR codes using the camera in your device.
- Dropbox - File sharing/sync.
- TestFlight - An amazing app that lets developers share their beta/dev builds w/o using the app store.
*** Update: People asked for a link to the wallpaper I am using (see homescreen image above) so here it is!